Support for Caregivers
Caregiver Resources in New York
Healthfirst understands that caring for a family member, friend, or neighbor can change your way of life. Simple tasks such as running errands, providing transportation to and from the doctor, or assisting a loved one with most day-to-day tasks can be stressful and emotional. We want you to know that you are not alone and we are here to help.
- Take control of your life. Don’t let your loved one’s illness or disability always take center stage.
- Remember to be good to yourself. Love, honor, and value yourself. Your responsibilities may be difficult and you deserve quality time just for you.
- Watch out for signs of depression and speak with your doctor or a professional when needed.
- If someone offers to help you, accept the offer and provide them with tasks they can do.
- Learn about your loved one’s condition.
- Be open to new technologies and ideas that help to increase your loved one’s independence. This will make your job easier.
- Trust your instincts. Most of the time, they’ll lead you in the right direction.
- Grieve your losses, and allow yourself to dream new dreams.
- Stand up for your rights as a caregiver.
- Seek support from other caregivers. There is great strength in knowing that you are not alone.