Questions About Child Health Plus
Let us help you find answers to common questions about Child Health Plus. To start, click on a topic below that is the best match for your question.
Still have questions? Please Contact Us. We’re here to help you get the answers you need.
Questions about Child Health Plus
Contact our Member Services department to schedule an appointment with a Healthfirst Representative, or visit us at one of our community offices located in your area.
Child Health Plus is an insurance program offered by Healthfirst. It provides good health care for your children. New York State sponsors this program. This program is for children under the age of 19 who have little or no health insurance. It is also for children who are not qualified for or enrolled in Medicaid.
All kids and teens living in New York State that do not have insurance will qualify for Child Health Plus. No family makes too much money to be covered. Your child may be able to join either Medicaid or Child Health Plus. The choice will be based on your family’s income. Many doctors in the Healthfirst network accept both Medicaid and Child Health Plus.
When you join Healthfirst, your children will be covered for:
- Complete health care for infants and children, including doctor checkups and baby/early childhood shots (vaccines);
- Emergency services;
- Tests, x-rays, and laboratory services;
- Dental, vision, speech, and hearing care;
- Help with nutrition, health education and counseling, and more.
It depends on your family size and income. You may pay a small monthly premium – or nothing at all. Call Healthfirst today to discuss the plan or program that best fits your family’s needs.
Children can get the Child Health Plus program if they are:
- Under the age of 19;
- Have no health insurance;
- Not qualified or signed up for Medicaid;
- Living in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, Staten Island, or Long Island.
- Free car service to and from doctor’s appointments for baby/early childhood shots (vaccines) and yearly checkups*
- Access to over 24,000 doctors and specialists, many in your neighborhood
- Programs to help you learn about important health topics such as asthma, nutrition, healthy habits, and more
- Helpful representatives who speak your language: English, Spanish, Chinese, Russian, and Haitian Creole.
* = Healthfirst will schedule and pay for medically necessary car service for all medical care and services that are covered under government-sponsored health insurance programs.
To check if your car service will be covered, just call us.