Preparing for a Doctor's Visit
HealthDay News Feed
You and your doctor are a team. Be sure to ask your doctor questions, listen carefully, and follow your doctor’s advice. Working closely with your doctor in this way will benefit your health.
Before your next doctor's visit:
During your visit:
After your visit:
- If you do not hear from your doctor, follow up to get test results by calling and asking for them
- Talk to your doctor about any questions you may have forgotten to ask when you me, or questions that you may have thought of after your appointment
Questions to ask at your next doctor's appointment:
If you are prescribed a new medication:
- What is the name of the medication, and how do you spell it?
- Why do I need it?
- When and how do I take it?
- Can I stop taking it if I feel better?
- Are there any side effects, and what should I do if they occur?
If a treatment has been recommended to you:
- What are the various forms of treatment available for my condition, and why do you recommend this one?
- How long will treatment take?
- Are there any side effects, and what can i do if they occur?
- Is the treatment covered by my health insurance?
If you require tests:
- How can I prepare for the test?
- What are the benefits and risks of having this?
- Are there any side effects, and what can I do if they occur?
- When can I expect results? How can I follow up?
Before leaving the doctor's office:
- Do I need to schedule a follow up appointment?
Click on the links below to view a fact sheet on Preparing for your Doctor's Appointment