Lead is dangerous for children ages 6 and younger. It can cause serious health problems. Your child may not look or feel sick, but may have lead in his or her blood. Children can swallow lead when they play in dirt or dusty areas and then put their fingers, clothes, and/or toys in their mouths. A blood test is the only way to know if your child has lead poisoning. Make sure your child has at least one lead screening test on or before his/her 2nd birthday.
Lead can be found in paint used in homes built before 1978. It can also be found in soil, dust, air, water, and other areas. Many serious health problems can be caused by lead poisoning. Children can have learning problems, hearing problems, and damage to the brain. They may also blood problems and slower growth and development.