Healthfirst Leaf Plans
Glossary of Terms
Qualified Health Plan Glossary
The period each year during which qualified individuals may keep their existing health care plan or enroll in a new health care plan in the Exchange. For the first year the Exchange is open, enrollment begins October 1, 2013 and extends through the end of March, 2014.
Your share of the cost of a covered health care service. After you pay your copay, your plan pays a percentage of the remaining cost of medical care. You also pay a percentage of the cost of medical care. An example of a common coinsurance is 20%. In this case, after you pay your copay, Healthfirst will pay 80% of the remaining cost. You will pay 20% of the remaining cost.
A fixed dollar amount, or a flat fee, that you pay each time you go to the doctor, get a prescription filled, or get other services.
An example of a common copayment is $15 per visit.
The general term for your expenses (deductibles, coinsurance and copayments). For example, let’s say you have a Healthfirst plan with a deductible of $200, a copay of $15, and a coinsurance amount of 30%. Your copay is $15 every time you visit your doctor. The first time you go to the doctor, the bill (not including the copay) is $200. This means you will pay your deductible of $200 for that first visit. On the second visit, your bill is again $200. This time, since you’ve already paid your deductible, you will pay 30%, or $60, and Healthfirst will pay 70%, or $140.
A service that your plan will pay for if you need it.
The amount you must pay each year before Healthfirst pays anything for certain covered services. For example, if your deductible is $500, you need to spend $500 for covered health care services before Healthfirst pays its share. The deductible may not apply to all services. Not all Healthfirst Plans have a deductible. If your plan has a deductible, it will be listed in your Subscriber Contract.
An individual who is legally eligible for health plan benefits because of his or her association with a subscriber. Typically, this is a member of the subscriber’s family.
A form that you will receive after a claim has been filed. It explains the treatments that took place, the portion of the cost that is covered under your plan, and the amount left that you may have to pay or may have already paid directly to your provider.
The set minimum amount of gross income that a family (based on family size) needs for food, clothing, transportation, shelter and other necessities as defined by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
The list of prescription drugs covered by your plan. This may also be called a Preferred Drug List.
The doctors and hospitals that are part of our network. They provide health care to our members. Unless it is an emergency, your Healthfirst Plan only covers health care services from doctors, hospitals and pharmacies that are in our network.
The most you have to pay each year for expenses covered by your plan. It’s a sum of the deductible, copay and coinsurance amounts. Once you reach this amount, you do not pay anything for most services. This does not include your monthly premium costs, any charges from out-of-network health care providers, or services that are not covered by the plan.
A group of doctors and hospitals who are contracted to provide health care services to members of a health plan.
A health care provider (doctor or hospital) that is not a part of a plan network. You will typically pay more if you use a provider that is not in your plan network.
Some health care plans, including Healthfirst, require you to check with them before you get certain services. This is to make sure that these health care services are necessary and are covered before you get them so that you will not be responsible for the entire cost. Preauthorization is required for many services but it is not required in an emergency.
The amount you have to pay each month for your Healthfirst plan.
Services you receive from your doctor that help prevent disease or to identify disease while it is more easily treatable. Under Health Care Reform, most of these services are 100% covered by your insurance plan, which means that you will not have to pay for them.
This is the doctor you go to for most of your health care needs and decisions. Your PCP coordinates most of your care, authorizes treatment, and may refer you to specialists. Your PCP may be a general internist, family practitioner, OB/GYN, Certified Nurse Practitioner, physician’s assistant, or pediatrician.
Major life or work changes affecting your health insurance coverage – events such as job loss, marriage, divorce, and birth.
Monetary assistance to help pay health insurance expenses, provided in the form of a refundable tax credit.