Gazette - Elmhurst Hospital Center Celebrates 180th Anniversary
Elmhurst Hospital Center (EHC) will be hosting a gala in honor of its 180th Anniversary on May 17 from 6:30 p.m. until 11:30 p.m. at Terrace on the Park in Flushing. Proceeds from the event will benefit EHC’s new Women’s Healthcare Services Pavilion, a state-of-the-art outpatient facility scheduled to open in Spring 2013.
Honorees include Regional Medical Director of the Queens Health Network and Dean at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine Dr. Jasmin Moshirpur, CEO and Publisher ofEl Diario La Prensa Rossana Rosado, New York State Director of Citigroup Community Development Eileen Auld and President and CEO of HealthFirst Patricia Wang.
New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation President Alan Aviles will receive special recognition for his leadership in patient safety initiatives within the nation’s largest municipal healthcare organization.
Tickets for the event are $175 each and can be purchased by calling 718-334- 3845, or visit www.elmhursthospitalauxiliary.org.
During the course of almost two centuries, Elmhurst Hospital Center has evolved into a Level I Trauma Center that serves as one of the city’s busiest medical facilities. The hospital has won numerous awards for providing quality medical care in key areas such as cardiology, emergency medicine, women’s health, pediatrics and rehabilitation medicine.
“Since its inception 180 years ago, Elmhurst Hospital Center has delivered vital healthcare services to diverse groups of people—from Civil War veterans, to New York city’s underserved and uninsured, as well as immigrants,” Elmhurst Hospital Center’s Executive Director Chris Constantino said. “As we enter the next phase of our history and expand to meet the demands of our growing patient population, we will continue our commitment to excellence and our ongoing mission to provide safe, easily-accessible, high-quality health care to all those who need it.”
The roots of what would become Elmhurst Hospital can be traced back to 1832 and a facility on Blackwell’s Island (later known as Roosevelt Island). Originally called Charity Hospital, it was rebuilt following an 1858 fire. In 1862, the city of New York negotiated a contract with the United States government to provide care to wounded Union soldiers. By 1870, the hospital’s name had been changed again to City Hospital and the building expanded to include a fullfledged maternity unit that developed safer methods to control puerperal or “childbed” fever and substantially reduce maternal deaths.
As the 20th century dawned, the hospital would retain its role as a pioneering healthcare organization. It treated victims of the 1918 flu pandemic, developed innovative lab research techniques, and established America’s first children’s healthcare center. Relocating from Roosevelt Island to Queens in 1957, City Hospital was renamed Elmhurst Hospital and in 1964 became affiliated with Mount Sinai Hospital and School of Medicine. Since then, Elmhurst Hospital Center has undergone several expansion projects and is now one of the city’s premier acute care facilities.